Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Muse-ic Mondays: Issue 21

Considering there were 650 bands in town for NXNE, I only got a tiny taste of the music festival, but it was so utterly delicious that I just had to blog about it. 

The National Post article "NXNE 2010: Five things we learned at Wavves" helps sum up my Friday night at Lee's Palace (which included sets by The Happy Hollows, Wavves, PS I Love You, and my personal favourite, Japandroids), but there were a few other things worth noting that I learned at Lee's and at NXNE in general:
  • People at rock concerts (myself included) like to talk a lot about sweat — how sweaty they are, how sweaty the band is, how sweaty the shirtless guy that just squeezed past is...you get the point. It's a default conversation topic, just like the weather. Yet the forecast for these occasions almost always seems to be 'humid with a 100% chance of sweat.' Think about it: Are you really at a rock concert if you or someone near you isn't sweating? You decide.
  •  Musicians at NXNE like to hang out, stick around and support other musicians. The Happy Hollows played from approximately 10 to 10:45 p.m., but they must have hung around the bar area for at least two hours after. Japandroids were also hanging out long before their midnight set. And if I am not mistaken, I also spotted some members of Still Life Still and Surfer Blood at Lee's for the Wavves and Japandroids sets. Coincidentally enough, I saw Brian from Japandroids in the crowd at Yonge-Dundas Square watching the free Surfer Blood concert the next day. 
  • NXNE is awesome. Enough said. 
      Here are some memorable tunes from the weekend:

      1. "Young Hearts Spark Fire" - Japandroids



      2. "Twin Peaks" - Surfer Blood



      3. "No Hope Kids" - Wavves



      (Mediocre) photos coming soon!

      No comments: