Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Super kawaii

Good evening, readers. Let me introduce you to my newest pet.

No, I'm not a cat lady. No, a dog isn't this girl's best friend. In fact, I'm quite allergic to any furry, saliva-producing, dander-spreading pet, so this is sadly as close as I'm going to get to living with any animal other than my sister (har har).

And so, without further ado, I present to you Mr. Penguin: 

My cute little cube of joy

I adopted Mr. Penguin a few weeks ago from Yokoyaya, a Japanese dollar store in Vancouver. He's as light as a feather, he doesn't need grooming or a pooper scooper, and he always makes sure my cell phone is safe and cozy. Visitors fawn over him and he keeps me company as I write inconsequential blog posts.
 
What can I say, he was worth every one of the 200 pennies I spent.

[Side note: The day after I got Mr. Penguin, I went back to the store to adopt more of his family as presents for friends, but every penguin was gone. Sowwie fwends!]

Keeping on the subject of cuteness, anyone who has ever read my sister Sarah's blog or who knows anything about Japan can attest to the fact that the country is just brimming with all things super kawaii (cute).

Sarah recently sent me a letter from Japan in true 'super kawaii' style. The stationery was pink and full of smiling bees and happy, fluffy sheep:


As a bonus, it also featured a cryptic chunk of poorly translated text:


My initial reaction to this text was sure to get me on Santa's naughty list fast. Yet the more I pondered these awkwardly stitched-together sentences, the less coherent my own thoughts became.  

I'm sure it's just a poorly translated phrase about counting sheep...

...or is it?

Thoughts? Your guess is as good as mine.

4 comments:

jane said...

excuse me? you consider me an animal???? more hallway obstructions coming your way!!!

Sarah said...

Don't analyze it. Just enjoy it as a creative, fluid and poetic use of the English language!

Sarah said...

p.s. Come visit me in Japan. You can buy a truckload of super kawaii things!

Anonymous said...

jane's comment is an example of HD living via the internet.

my square penguin gets a lot of compliments too.